Welcome to the Classics Study Abroad in Rome Program!
Please join us at the information meeting with Professor-in-Charge, Dr. Gregg who will present a lecture on Friday, October 23. A reception with alumni of the program will follow the lecture.
Embodying Heroic Virtue in
Lecture by Dr. Chris Gregg
George Mason University
UGA Classics in Rome
Friday, Oct. 23
Please join us for a reception in the Reading Room following the lecture with Dr. Gregg
and Alumni of the Program
MLC Reading Room (3rd floor)
Orientation meeting in March
Watch the full video, filmed and edited by Alan Flurry, HERE!
Information on the Rome Program
- Location: Rome, Italy, founded in 753 B.C.
- Institution: The University of Georgia Department of Classics.
- Student Body: Approximately 20-25 students per summer.
- Housing: At the Hotel Ercoli at the northeast end of the Quirinal hill (via Collina, 48), just inside the ancient Aurelianic Wall, where the group has stayed each summer since 1975.
- Orientation in Athens in March.
- Courses: CLAS 4350 (Ancient Rome), CLAS 4400 (The Art of Rome), and CLAS 4305 (The Urban Tradition of Rome) or LATN 4405 (The Latin Tradition of Rome).
- Activities: Most participants take three upper level courses in ancient Roman civilization, all of which center around regular group field trips and explorations in the city. Some coverage of later periods (medieval, renaissance, baroque) will be included.
- Day trips outside the city include visits to the Etruscan sites of Tarquinia and Cerveteri, Hadrian’s villa and the Villa d’Este at Tivoli, and other venues. If finances permit, the group takes a three-day trip to the Bay of Naples to see Pompeii and other ancient sites buried by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, the Greek temples at Paestum and other ancient remains in Campania.
- Academic Calendar: Six weeks from late May to early July.
- Faculty: Dr. Elena Bianchelli (UGA) is the interim Program Director, responsible for recruiting and financial arrangements; Dr. Chris Gregg (George Mason University) is the Professor-in-Charge, who will teach the courses and lead the group in Rome.
- Program Fees: See the fees and schedule HERE. PROGRAM COSTS DO NOT INCLUDE AIRFARE OR TUITION. Students who are not residents of Georgia or do not attend a University System of Georgia school will pay an additional $250 out of state fee.
- **PLEASE NOTE: This program is physically strenuous. Participants must be able to climb hills and walk several miles a day over uneven terrain.**